Million Dollar Match


It is with immeasurable gratitude and overwhelming excitement that the Friends of Hunt Hill Audubon Sanctuary (FOHHAS) announces that the Cleveland family has stepped forward to match every dollar we raise up to ONE MILLION DOLLARS!


WHO IS GIVING THIS INCREDIBLE MATCHING GIFT TO FOHHAS?

 

“We are doing this to support efforts to protect natural Wisconsin habitats, offer nature programming to all ages and provide a sanctuary accessible to all. Hunt Hill is a gem in our community where everyone can go to find solitude in nature.”  Dave and Carolyn Cleveland

The Clevelands are long-time members and volunteers at Hunt Hill. They moved to nearby Long Lake in 2002 and when they discovered Hunt Hill, grew an immediate appreciation for the presence of such an important natural gem in their new community.  Carolyn quickly became involved in the organization and has served on the FOHHAS board as its president in the past and again in 2016-2017. They are, indeed, friends of Hunt Hill. They are offering to match up to $1-million to create a $2-million endowment for Hunt Hill. FOHHAS has until 2019 to raise $1 million to be matched by the Clevelands. Once established, the $2 million will be protected as principal and the interest off the earnings can be used by Hunt Hill. These funds will help secure FOHHAS’s commitment to the community by allowing them to continue offering affordable programs, free hiking trails and look to expanding programming and updating facilities.


WHAT IS AN ENDOWMENT?

The sole intention of an endowment is to invest it, so that the total asset value will yield an inflation-adjusted principal amount, along with additional income.  The starting balance of $2 Million, if FOHHAS successfully raises $1 Million, will be held as principal, which cannot be touched. Only the earnings from the principal can be used by FOHHAS.


WHY DOES HUNT HILL NEED AN ENDOWMENT?

By keeping program fees low so they are affordable to our community, income from programs ends up covering only 40% of total camp expenses each year. The other 60% is made up through fundraising, memberships, donations and foundation support. All of these income sources vary each year and are never a guarantee. With the establishment of a FOHHAS-owned endowment, there would be a sustainable source of revenue to ensure program fees can stay low. Hunt Hill is not government funded or supported financially by National Audubon Society.


HOW WILL THE INCOME BE USED?

The endowment will provide financial assistance to support the long term sustainability and growth of the FOHHAS operations and mission.   Income earned on the endowment will be used by Hunt Hill to support ongoing operations, expanded programming and building improvements and expansions.


HOW LONG DOES FOHHAS HAVE TO RAISE THE MONEY?

The Matching Campaign will run until 2019. During this time, the Clevelands will match all donations from the public up to $1 Million. FOHHAS hopes that donors will consider making a multi-year pledge.


WHO TO CONTACT FOR MORE INFORMATION?

Executive Director, Nikki Janisin
715-635-6543
director@hunthill.org


MORE INFORMATION

Million Dollar Match Flyer
Million Dollar Match Pledge Form
Newspaper Article